EXAMPLE CASE STUDY ONE – Manchester – UK
Catering Consultant to Etihad & City Football Group
£200 million pound build of City Football Training Academy (Manchester City Football Club) part of the larger Etihad Campus near to SportCity.
Working with Rafael Viñoly Architects of New York and a multitude of contractors and clients to create and design a world leading training facility, from concept identity through to working with the business and team operationally for a number of years after opening.
A 40,000 square foot building, housing 200 Club employees, press conference auditorium, 7000 seat mini stadium, youth training facilities for Elite First Team, Women and Youth Teams comprising hydrotherapy, physiotherapy, hotel, internal road network, administration, state of the art gymnasia.
This internationally award-winning facility with extensive catering facilities has six areas with dedicated kitchens tasked with delivering to set, dedicated budgets with challenging spaces and huge expectations for sports athletes, members of the public, administration and education. Serving a very varied selection of food that is delivered by in-house catering teams and also contracted out to various third parties. Contributing and agreeing to room data sheets with Client for a variety of catering areas, specification and fit out of all catering equipment.
Sourcing food ingredients and dealing with local suppliers, many of whom had to be organic for this Client, also search and selection of suitable chefs and caterers for the senior roles.
NB previously been involved for twenty years with all elements of Catering design including the original Fan Zone City Square, award-winning Tunnel Club restaurant and all of the Etihad Stadium expansion and refurbishments at the Etihad.
EXAMPLE CASE STUDY TWO – Kuwait / Saudi Arabia, Middle East
Culinary Consultant - Various Restaurants
Working for a very high profile, demanding Arabian Client to identify sustainable commercial opportunities for a new, Mediterranean Style Restaurant Concept Brand within Kuwait to roll out limited numbers of restaurants and then expand throughout the Middle East.
Commenced by understanding the market, trends, competitors, building an authentic artisanal Mediterranean restaurant concept together with essential values and cultural ethos and identity.
We opened two sites for this client, one in the very exclusive and upmarket high-profile Phase 4 Avenues, Kuwait with the second restaurant in an external area next to the racecourse in Murouj, Kuwait, this also led to us designing and fitting out a central production unit.
From the success of the two openings in Kuwait, we were then commissioned to work in the Client’s other F&B businesses in Kuwait with an overarching role in strategy. This included adjusting the offering for the local clientele and customer demographics, working up locations / sites / sizing / return on investment / P&L forecast and budgets, operational modelling, food methodology, designing product, service, its design approach into workflows, logistics and ergonomics. Including search, selection and recruitment, internal details such as menu design, NPD and costings, project management, working with interior designers, brand design agency, kitchen design layouts, plotting spaces, specification of equipment, also tendering (challenging circumstances and individuals) and was then part of working with contractors on site, deliveries, fit out, installation, handover, pre-opening, staff role play and training, promotional marketing and working with the team operationally from pre-opening through day to day trading and into profit.
Research and development of suitable dishes that would translate to the Middle Eastern market. The expansion continued and we opened two additional restaurants in U Walk, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to astounding success.
EXAMPLE CASE CONCEPT STUDY – North Yorkshire - UK
Chef / Patron - Hazlewood Castle
The conversion of a derelict one thousand year old Castle of great historical significance, mentioned in the Domesday Book, and set in 77 acres of land to an award-winning hotel, restaurant, café, conference, cookery school, event and wedding venue.
The Castle needed repurposing and substantial total development with essential allocation of working spaces, as a Grade 1 & 2 listed property it garnered great interest from English Heritage, the Elizabethan Society and Georgian Society. We needed to install mains gas, water and electricity, a new roof, building of road network, building of communication systems etc., with M&E challenges and restrictions. A sympathetic and mindful conversion from a monastery into a commercial privately-owned hotel with three kitchens, cookery school, an award-winning fine dining restaurant which gained local and national recognition, café, chapel, conference and events, bedrooms and weddings.
We worked with a detailed design team to harness the extraordinary challenges relating to a building of this age. Turnkey team from location site visit through to commercial concept, planning and design into opening and then into profit. Formulating the commercial opportunities with the challenges of huge commercial overheads which was biased towards food and beverage, not accommodation, and establishing the business from zero which needed a significant level of commercial sales to exist and prosper. Understanding a wide range of customer profiles and demographics.
We were the operational principals and drove the business from zero to achieve significant levels of sales and reputation.
EXAMPLE CASE STUDY FOUR – Nationwide – UK
Consultant Chef - Retail Supermarket client
Retail supermarket client’s venture into Chef led instore food service and catering.
1) Creation of the original big picture brand vision with senior
2) Research and development into proof of concept
3) Detailed design principles and approaches
4) Creation and nationwide rollout of in-store fresh food production kitchens
5) Detailed costings and pricing policies
6) Influencing food makers who manufacture a variety of food products in-store
7) Creating multiple concepts which will be flexing throughout the course of the day (time of day appropriate)
8) Leading NPD of fresh food dishes manufactured within given price points and time constraints.
9) Creating areas / zones designate
10) Internal customer / staff traffic flows
11) Pre-opening management training / Kitchens
12) Educating dish food recipe specifications
13) Educating the business in creatin of manual for operational process system procedures
14) Creating mobilisation plan (creation and training)
15) Ongoing mentoring tutoring and education of senior retail client into food service and catering knowhow.
16) Equipment specification suitability, life expectancy and performance abilities
17) Forecasting shoppers and numbers of covers with average spends and volumes
18) Working with extraordinarily stringent food safety policies
19) Working with contractors, builders, architects and multi-level external third parties.
20) Proposing kitchen specifications ready for detailed tender process
21) Overall kitchen methodology
22) Creation of food values ethos and charter for brand
23) Creating overall food architecture
24) Advising nationwide roll out team
25) Creation of job specifications
26) Recruitment head hunting profiling /search / selection of teams
Copyright © 2017 John Benson-Smith - All Rights Reserved- GLG member -
Elected Master Chef of Great Britain for over thirty years
Member of Institute of Consulting -Members FSB